Thursday, April 22, 2010

Choose Happy

Tonight I was really mad, specifically at my loving, amazing, nearly perfect boyfriend. This is probably the most mad I've ever been at him in the four years we have been together.
So naturally I did what any other person would do- updated the Facebook status to let the world know I was mad. Mature? Not so much, but it need help me feel a little better.

A few minutes later, I receive a notification on my iPhone that Tim Fioravanti commented on my status. His comment simply said, "Choose happy! :)"

Two words and a smiley face.

Tim was my marching band and concert band director in high school.

My freshmen yea,r when we all gathered on the first day at band camp (yes, this is a "one time at band camp" story), he had my friend Jasmine sit in a chair in front of everyone. And he asked her, "Do you want a chocolate ice cream, or vanilla ice cream?"

Jasmine responded, "I want vanilla."

"Why?"

"Because I like vanilla."

"Wrong. Do you want chocolate or vanilla?"

This went on for about 10 minutes, the two of them going back and forth, bickering, arguing, and each time Jasmine was wrong. Finally Jasmine, all frustrated and what not, exclaimed, "I was vanilla because it's what I choose!"

"YES!" was Tim's reply. She had finally answered correctly.

All the upperclassmen laughed while the rest of us freshmen sat there confused.

Tim continued to explain to all of us this...

In life you can either choose to be mad or choose to be happy. You can choose to be frustrated when your wife messes up your tooth paste container or you can choose to fix it and just go on brushing your teeth. You can choose to be mad that he changed your plans at the last minute, or you can choose to fix the plans yourself and catch up with one of your best friends. You can choose to have vanilla ice cream or to have chocolate ice cream. But you have to choose. You can't reason with it, you can't get mad over it, you can't change what's happening. You have to look at the big picture, choose whether it's worth the anger, the fight, the tears... or whether it's easier to just say I'm sorry and go with the flow.

Tonight, I chose to get over it. I changed my plans, things will still work out perfectly on Saturday, and all will be fine.

Thank you, Tim, for reminding me to choose happy. :)

And I'm sorry Justin, I love you. <3


I love Disney World. It makes me happy. I'm choosing this photos to make me smile right now, from the trip I went on with Justin in January for our anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment