Friday, July 9, 2010

Teaching at Boys and Girls Club : Day 1

Today was my first day of teaching photography to the kids at the Boys and Girls Club. And I'm going to admit it, I was nervous. Really nervous. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do. I have all my other weeks planned out, but how was I going to introduce myself to them? Once I got to the school and saw the kids, I relaxed a bit. I pulled out my laptop, my MK II, and the three digital cameras I brought for them to use. Anna (yes, Anna from this blog) brought the first group over... And it was AMAZING!

I showed them some of my photographs I've taken in the past year or so, showed them my camera, then showed them the cameras they would be using: Vivitar ViviCam5022. Sure, it's only 5.1 megapixels, but I figured the would work just fine.

vivitar_1

Boy, did they work more than just fine... How about they were EXCELLENT!

We had such a fun time! Some of the photos might be blurry or dark, but that wasn't the point of today. Today, we were just having fun, trying different things, jumping around, making silly faces, and just learning to use a camera. And all the kids did such an amazing job. Once I got home and uploaded their photos to my computer, I was blown away by their photos!

Here are a few "behind the scenes" photos...

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

SILLY BANDZ- I totally got 3 new ones today, I was very excited.
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

The man in the blue shirt is Hector, he is the director of Boys and Girls Club. He's such a great guy!
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

See this photo below? My new friend Dominik took this photo. Dominik just finished kindergarten and will be going into first grade in the fall. He used my 5D MKII with the photo. He's going to be a pro some day! (And this is now my profile photo on my facebook!)
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

I'm loving the team work in these photos!
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

I took a photo of the kids setting up their shots, and then placed the photos they took with it. I'm telling you, these kids are amazing.

There were so many great shots, but here are just a few of my favorites. It just goes to show no matter who you are, how old you are, or what camera you are using... You can always get a great shot!

I think her shirt in perfect for today's lesson...
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

More silly bandz!
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

These two cracked me up! But they had such a good time, the bottom one could be a shot for Junior GQ ;)
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

And now for some lovely (embarassing) photos of myself...
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

I told them to play around with different lighting scenarios today... So they were doing shadow puppets! Totally out of the box and awesome!
Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Boys and Girls Club Day 1

Girl, you are rocking this photo!
Boys and Girls Club Day 1


Next week I will be out of town for the week, but I am leaving the cameras with Anna and Hector for them to do a photo scavenger hunt with them. I can't wait to see what they do! Check back every Friday for the next 5 weeks for updates on what they learn! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! Thanks for doing this for the Club. Linda

    ReplyDelete