Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thanful Thursday : Veterans Day

"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the ...councils of the nations"
- President Wilson, 1919


Today I would like to thank all of the men and women, past, present, and future, who serve our country. Every day they risk their lives so we can continue to live in a country with all the freedoms we have; freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and so many other basic rights that we take for granted every day. Without these amazing men and women, our country would not be the home we know and love today.

My grandfather was a solider in World War II. He joined the military at age 17 (he lied about his age on his application) and was shipped all around the world to fight the war. When I was little, he bought a globe and place gold star stickers on every country and city he went to; Japan, Italy, Germany, England, and so many more. He even use to have an old Nazi helmet that he brought home with him, but he gave it away to someone during a yard sale we had once.

D-Day: The Normandy Invasion

This is the famous Normandy Landings (D-Day) photograph. My grandfather was one of the boys that opened up the gates to the boats, risking his life to help others to the shore. This photograph will always remind me of my grandfather and the life taking risks he took to help defend our country.

I cannot describe how thankful I am for our armed forces. Without them, we would be nothing. I love you, I pray for you, and I can never thank you enough.

Happy Veterans Day, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment